Microsoft launched MS-DOS Mobile, a new OS designed especially for Lumia smartphones. So now you can install it on your phone. It lets you enjoy your smartphone the way geeks in the eighties always dreamed of: By directly typing out every single command.
“Black and white text has never looked so good,” says Tom Messett from Microsoft Lumia Marketing in the launch video.
By Using MS-DOS you can access the apps folder that are located in C:PROGRAMSPHONE by typing these commands:
- cd programs
- cd phone
This lists all the available apps. For example, typing camera.exe in the next line launches the camera.
The camera has three modes: ASCII, B&W, and CGA. You can also switch between the front and rear camera.
The ‘internet.exe’ command in the same folder opens up Internet Explorer. You’ll briefly hear connecting sound before launching the app. Check Out Other sveral other programs.
- Contacts – Opens the contacts list.
- Maps [search terms] – Launches the map app with search terms.
- Market – Launches Windows Phone Store
- Phone [number] – Launches phone app with given number.
- Review – Launches review page for this app.
- Cortana [search terms] – Launches Cortana with the search terms.
- SMS [number] – Launches SMS composer with the number.